Contacting the Author
Thank you for your interest in the article.
I can no longer accept e-mail related to this website.
I am not a counselor. I cant give you advice about therapy beyond what is already in this article.
- To find a therapist near you to talk with in person:
- For free online crisis counseling, go to The Samaritans.
If you would like to reprint the article, please go to this page for instructions.
To return to the article, press the back button on your browser, or click here to return to the first page.
Table of Contents
- Why I wrote this article
- How to tell if a therapist is competent, or not
- What psychotherapy isand why you need to know
- The secret that you already know
- How a good therapist makes you feel safe
- The perfect therapist
- Privacy: the essential ingredient
- Non-judgmental acceptance: you deserve it
- How to choose a therapist to call
- How you find out about the therapist
- Therapist credentials: the truth revealed
- First contact. Watch out for these red flags!
- Your first session: what should happen
- Safety is in the details
- Now what?
Copyright 1991,1996, 1999 Martha Ainsworth. All rights reserved. Please refer to reprint information before reprinting or distributing all or any part of this text.