2 - How To Tell If A Therapist Is Competent, Or Not
For you to be able to answer this question for yourself, first you need to know just a little about two things:
You need to know what psychotherapy is, and what it isn't
You need to know how to find the answer in your own mind
The material on the next two pages explains (very briefly) the theory behind the practical suggestions to come. It explains why they are important.
Next: What psychotherapy isand why you need to know >>
Table of Contents
- Why I wrote this article
- How to tell if a therapist is competent, or not
- What psychotherapy isand why you need to know
- The secret that you already know
- How a good therapist makes you feel safe
- The perfect therapist
- Privacy: the essential ingredient
- Non-judgmental acceptance: you deserve it
- How to choose a therapist to call
- How you find out about the therapist
- Therapist credentials: the truth revealed
- First contact. Watch out for these red flags!
- Your first session: what should happen
- Safety is in the details
- Now what?
Copyright 1991,1996, 1999 Martha Ainsworth. All rights reserved. Please refer to reprint information before reprinting or distributing all or any part of this text.