If you are in crisis or suicidal now...
If you are having suicidal thoughts, you may need help immediately. e-therapists usually cannot respond to urgent e-mail in less than 24 to 48 hours. That may be too long for you to wait.
Take yourself seriously. If your need is urgent, admit it. You deserve to get help, and to get it sooner rather than later. If you are experiencing intense emotional distress and need immediate response:
If you do not need immediate response -- you are willing to wait 24-48 hours for a response, and are willing to hang on and work with someone who wants to help you -- then continue reading..
- Get off the computer and pick up the phone.
- Call 1-800-SUICIDE from anywhere in the U.S. or look in your phone book for a mental health hotline.
- Call a psychotherapist, counseling center or mental health clinic and make an appointment for an office visit. (Click here if you want help choosing and contacting a therapist.) In urgent situations, many therapists and counselors can see you on short notice. Be sure to make it clear that your need is urgent.
- Send e-mail to a trained volunteer crisis counselor by writing to email@example.com. E-mail is answered every day of the year.
- Suicidal persons might wish to read this first.
Remember, if you feel you cant wait it out, you can always go to the phone for right-now help.
Next: What you need to know about e-therapy>>